Sunday, June 5, 2011

Day Three, in which I ponder the former occupants...

Today was cleaning day (part one)...mom tackled the kitchen, which was covered in grease, while I scrubbed the walls of the downstairs bedrooms. This led to me wondering about the former occupants. Were they miners? Industrial Revolution-era factory workers? Did they communicate only using smoke signals?

Before.

After.

Holy carp those were some dirty walls.

My mom also decided that she was thoroughly disgusted with the kitchen cabinets...after we pulled the tile off, we saw that the boards underneath were pretty gross, so we figured we'd replace them and install the new tile counter top over them. But she's pretty much over the entire cabinet structure, which we're pretty certain was original to the house.

Like this, except all naked on top.

I'm all about keeping the historic beauty, but I'm picking my battles. So we've priced new cabinets, not too bad actually, and I'm still going to do black and white tile on the top. Not the awesome little tiles that there were before, but standard 4 1/4" x 4 1/4" because they're much cheaper.

I'm back out at the house at 8am tomorrow to meet with the gas company. Then I'm off to Home Depot to see how much it would cost to rent a paint sprayer. Because even after all of that scrubbing, we definitely need to paint all of the downstairs walls. And that job is going to fall to me. Since we're going to pull the carpets out after we paint, all I'd have to cover are the windows and the outlets.

I'm going to moving things by the car-full all week after tomorrow...that should be fun and exhausting :)

1 comment:

  1. Aww, I kinda liked the cabinetry, but I totally get choosing battles with your momma. Ha.

    Damn, I want a house! PM me/email me your address so I can figure out where you're at. What landmarks are you near (my D knowledge is poor, so I don't have many places of reference).

    ReplyDelete