Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Days Five and Six...ranty-rant-rant.

If I get another person warning me about how we are moving to such a dangerous area, I'm going to scream. Gee, I thought houses for less than $5000 were available in really nice suburbs all of the time!

I'm really not sure who on my block I'm supposed to fear...the kid across the street who desperately wants to mow our lawn? The older couple next door with a little dog, a swing set in their yard, and a sweet-looking Harley? Or perhaps the daycare down the street? Well, preschoolers are pretty frightening.

I'm getting a little agitated at the people who assume that I'm planning on leaving my doors unlocked, putting my purse full of cash on the windowsill, and prancing down the street in my underwear. We got a security system, we're putting alarms on our cars. I'm being realistic.

The distinction between the "bad" of Detroit and the "good" of the suburbs stopped being 8 Mile Road a looong time ago. If people don't start investing in the city, that blight won't stop at the city limits. The 'burbs will decline and people will just move further out. And eventually, they're going to hit Lake Michigan.

I get it, the big D-word scares people. But you can't tell me that if I moved a mile north, I'd be magically more safe in Warren.

On a happier note, the security system was installed today. And we had a plumber come and look at the pipes in the basement. He made it sound like it'd be a pretty easy job, so I'm hoping the price he quotes won't be a choking hazard.

And I primed most of the second downstairs bedroom. My dopey dog came with me today since our mobile home temperature is pushing triple-digits during the day and she's crated when nobody is home. She christened the floor a bit when she met one of the security installers. Luckily, he was a dog-person, so he was naturally charmed by her goofy demeanor.

More priming tomorrow. We want to be done painting by the end of the weekend so I can start tiling on Monday and Tuesday, my two days off before my schedule changes.

Ugh, apologies for any misspellings or grammatical errors. I'm too exhausted to proofread.

1 comment:

  1. One more comment, and then I'm done - Hilarity that people are hating on your part of town. I found your address and saw the Google street view of your house. Adorable! I have no idea about the area, but it seems like a good sign that the houses in your neighborhood are all standing and not burned down.

    Haters gonna hate.

    ReplyDelete